Monday, December 1, 2008

Architecture and the Virtual Office

I love the conveniences of modern technology! The internet has become incorporated into virtually every aspect of our daily life. It is in our homes, our workplace, and even our phones. Whether it is research, communication, or services we are after, our society has become so utterly dependant on the internet that we feel lost without it. In my personal experience, I spent 15 months sailing around the world and essentially I mourned the absence of the internet during long passages at sea. The abrupt and absolute impossibility of surfing the web was a shock to the system in many ways. I didn’t realize that I was so dependant on the internet until all of my preferred means of obtaining information and communicating with loved ones was no longer an option. It was not all that pathetic, however. In a reasonably short period of time, I learned to love the disconnect experienced at sea and on remote South Pacific islands.

Now that I have both feet tentatively planted ashore, I have taken full advantage of all the conveniences and instant gratification the internet offers me. Most importantly, it has opened up a host of employment and business opportunities. Where I choose to live is not exactly a booming metropolis with endless job opportunities for writers. But with a little online research, I was able to secure freelance writing work. When I decided I wanted a little more financial stability, I landed a research and copywriting job with a web development firm. I had a desk at the office, but I had every opportunity to telecommute from my home, which I took advantage of.

Having joined a company that strives to improve communication within the architecture industry and design/ build sectors, I am interested to know how architects, planners, designers and associated professionals can improve communication when not everyone is working from the office.

How has the architecture industry adapted to the model of the virtual office? The internet has made it easy for freelance designers and architects/ builders with a web presence to identify and contact one another. There are countless benefits to adopting a virtual office, but the ones that stick out to me are:
Your talent pool does not have to be local. Regional and international professionals can contribute to your company and projects via the web.
Freelancers can create a virtual firm in order to take on larger projects and increase their market coverage.

What I would like to know is how many architecture firms and associated professionals have integrated the “virtual office” into their businesses in some way. Has telecommunication complicated business operations, or has it improved morale or productivity?

If you would like to weigh in, I’d love to gain some perspective!

No comments: